Wednesday, February 11, 2009

so what would you take if you only had a minute

the recent fires/floods in australia have demonstrated that natural events can leave you with but a minute or two to choose what you would take if you had to "run for your life" and when (or if) you came back everything you had ever had as a possession was gone. in other places man-made events (wars) continue to have the same affect.

so what would you take (and how would you prepare) for such an event. its strange but when i think about all of "my possessions" i cant think of any single physical object i would feel compelled to pick up and put in the car. i dont think i have a sentimental attachment to anything i own (is that weird).

there are things i like but would never consider taking like:

- my bike
- my collection of books
- any of our electrical products (i might try to take the laptop and camera and a memory stick or two but thats about it)
- my clothes (i might take a change of clothes but only if i had time)
- there are some photos (not many) but i could live without them (i have the memories)
- music (cds/records) - i could live without them (but i might try to grab my ipod)

so (other than the people in your life) what would you simply have to take (couldnt live without after the event) if you were forced to run for it?

On reflecting on how i might "prepare" for such an event i think i will develop a little stash of memory cards/thumb drives with key things on them (identity information, copies of key banking, insurance and other papers, photos, music) and always keep them handy somewhere safe just in case.

if you ever find yourself with a few minutes and you are "not ready" its too late and as experience shows (at least in our fires) even if you are ready and get it wrong at least sometimes its too late (sadly)

2 comments:

Lakes Lass said...

I'm with you. I can't think of anything I would absolutely need to grab that I couldn't live without...

Summer said...

Those poor people didn't have a chance to think about anything. Like you it's made me think about what I would grab. My cats for sure would be my first priority. I used to think my jewelry would come second, but now I'm not so sure. I think now it would be the portraits of my sons when they were 4 years old.

Are you doing ok today?