Friday, January 30, 2009

interesting day all round

I had the day off today (but i worked tonight) so i took the opportunity to do some "work" on a small consulting job i picked up. I spent the morning completing some research and preparing a presentation (its 85% complete - needs a couple of hours tomorrow).

I went into town to meet an ex-colleague for lunch and i got into town a little early so i sat at a cafe bar in one of the main streets - had a coffee - and let some people bump into me. I met 4-5 people that i knew and chatted for a while and handed out some business cards. During lunch with my mate i bumped into another ex-colleague and handed out yet another card. We are going to catch up for a coffee and chat. On the way back to my car i met someone else and handed out yet another card. Who knows where all this might end up (possibly in the bin - but i suspect not).

it was nice to meet people who were clearly pleased to see me and who wanted to shoot the breeze. During the warmer months i think i could operate an "office" out of the multitude of cafes around town. I have the means (a laptop and a mobile)

After i got home from the city i pottered around a bit then went to work for 4pm. I have been working at a bottleshop since late November. It is funny, but i really enjoy going to work (and its not for the money). I like the physical activity (movement) that comes with the job and i actually enjoy the interaction with the people. It is not something i have ever done before(deal with lots of people for hours on end). today was a bit slow, but during any shift you can usually get a laugh, some of the women are not hard on the eyes and there are some real characters. we also get the odd "idiot" who wants to steal booze or who has had too much and wont take no for an answer, but in reality they are a small minority.

so overall today it was interesting and fun all round. Its doesnt really feel like work if you "enjoy" it. If everyday was like today - and i could balance out the financial returns - i could be quite happy doing this for quite a while.

No comments: