Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Achilles Rehab

I went looking for some posts tonight that i had done in 2006/7 related to my AT story (unfortunately i deleted the whole blog a while back and all the AT related posts with it) and realised that there were some posts out there which pointed to my blog. Sorry guys, the story of the journey is now mostly lost - there are some comments on Simon Barratts blog and i probably still have some photos laying around somewhere.

I am now a veteran AT club member (9/9/2006 with an op on 10/10/2006). i feel that i am a lucky vet - no problems really ever. have ridden thousands of kms on my road bike with no issues from the surgical repair, have no pain, soreness or wound issues. done a whole heap of "manual labour" and am currently working in a job where i am on my feet walking/carrying for 6-8 hours a day.

The only "variation" now is that my injured calf never regained the same degree of muscle mass (it is still about 2-2.5cm smaller despite a heap of work). the only time this has caused any problems has been on really long rides where it fatigues/cramps earlier or in out of the saddle sprinting where the same occurs. I am not sure what occurred to cause this, but my gut tells me that the operation changed the way the tendon was acting on the muscles and taking so long to have an operation resulted in the leg effectively being "inactive" for 4-5 months, rather than 3 perhaps if you have an op straight away. this lead to a much more significant degree of muscular atrophy and it has never recovered.

While the individual posts are lost, the memories are not so if you want to ask questions, make comments etc leave a comment and i will get back to you.

No comments: